Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:58:59 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I just really want to know about the non-latchers of 28-plus years ago.  I remember no latch issues with my first, except for 6 weeks of sore nipples.  With my 1982 second model, we had learned much more.  I used the new positioning, having my baby's whole body facing me.  And sure enough, I wasn't sore.  But I also remember latching difficulties.  "But it's right there in front of you," I can remember saying out loud to my newborn, as he shook his head in confusion.  Maybe my firstborn and I went through the same struggles, but I don't remember any.

Jan, looking back, could your increased knowledge have slowed *your* 1984 home-birthed model down?  I'm really trying to sort this out, and I *know* it sounds romantic to say that those earlier babies had less trouble.  But if there really is a difference in percentage of non-latchers, and if any of that is a result of our technique and not the epidural rate, we can change that!

Those of you who worked in hospitals over the "early 80s interface" when we began to analyze the latch but before epidurals skyrocketed, do you remember a difference in the number of non-latchers?

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.normalfed.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2