Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:13:22 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
Some things I look at when a mom calls after breastfeeding has been going well and then suddenly a problem starts are 1) changes in baby's routine - a major life event (such as returning to employment, a move, a death etc.) will cause baby to change the nursing pattern or even cause fussiness, and added stress on mom could affect her supply 2) changes in baby's or mom's diet or eating pattern - I've found that as baby gets older, some moms become more relaxed about their diet and may increase coffee, soda, junk food or smoking without associating it with changes in baby's nursing behavior or digestive system and/or supply, also as baby adds food without a problem, sometimes the family becomes relaxed about new foods and one of them maybe upsetting baby, and finally 3) age of baby, 9 to 12 months tends to be when baby finally separates from mom (cognitively) and may either nurse more (usually) or less and this in itself could effect the digestive system. 

For the baby with the watery stool, she may have gotten exposed to something 'going around' but because she is nursing, it did not become a full blown condition, but because of being partially separated, it was not as mild as it would have been if mom was home and nursing ad lib. The first symptom my allergic daughter showed was diarrhea, that continued whenever she was not on a bland diet for a year (and adding other symptoms as it continued) until we identified what she was allergic to, and then all the symptoms went away almost overnight. The slow weight gain may also be an indicator of allergy. 

These are just some ideas of questions I ask, when something comes up later in breastfeeding. Hope they help.

Leslie Ward
Fort Hood, TX

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2