Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 13:10:28 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
To Valerie (and all),

I don't think that any of us are damning breastmilk by initiating a discussion on environmental contamination.  This discussion and investigation is taking place and will be fully explored in the media whether we like it or not.  What we need to do is to be fully informed on the issues so that we can speak intelligently on the topic whenever it comes up.  It does not help our cause to keep trying to find a way to show that formula is contaminated just as much by these pollutants when the fact is, it is not.  Formula has many other hazards, but environmental contamination is not one of them.  We need to keep these other hazards in the media whenever it is suggested that breastmilk is not appropriate for babies anymore due to contamination.  We need to examine the studies that come out so that we can comment on them with some degree of authority.

We do need to take control of this issue.  This may indeed be the nail in the coffin that the formula manufacturers have been waiting for - we must stop them from using it.  We must increase pressure on the medical groups, such as AAP, to call for the cleanup of our environment as a priority for the future health of our children, not just because of breastmilk contamination, but because of the ultimate contamination of everything, for which the breastmilk issue is just a bellweather.  We need to find a way to get the information about formula into the media on a regular basis - we need a cohesive strategy.  I'm not sure where this can originate from (ILCA?) or where the money to fund it will come from.  Many LC's fight this battle regularly through their local media by letters to the editor and such.  We need to multiply that.  And again, we must somehow, someway, find a way to get the medical profession on board.  Most pediatricians are standing pat with the "breastmilk is still the best" line, but how long is that going to last?

Not being proactive will not make this go away.  In fact, it will only seal our fate.  What do the rest of you think?  Marsha Walker is a walking encyclopedia of formula hazards and abuse - how do we turn her masterful accumulation of information into a real campaign? (I could say the same of the mountains of information that Valerie has accumulated as well). What are we going to do about this?  Do we have the time and energy to become as active and vocal in the environment as in breastfeeding? (I know that some have, and I think you are wonderful!)  Many of us do this in a small way, through our lifestyle and daily interactions.  But what next?  What will be our strategy that will acknowledge the problem without encouraging the abandonmnet of breastfeeding, that will finally uncover the ugly truth about formula without alientating the mainstream folks that we need on our side?  I have no answers.  But I think that we all have enough brain cells left to come up with something.

From an old hippie, fighting the same battles and hoping to win at least one before I die.......

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2