Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 23:37:39 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Virginia (& others who found my terminology upsetting),

I believe that we're on the same page with terms and their use.  I *purposefully* used the word "formula" since that's what the pharm companies call it.  It *is* a compounded formula, like a drug, and, IMHO, should come with the risks and benefits listed just like those for a heartburn "formula" or anti-hypertensive "formula".

While I tend to use "artificial baby milk" in both written and verbal lactation education, with my dietitian hat on I wonder if that has the impact I desire.  With those carefully chosen words used, I think that I may be lending more credibility to the product by putting it into "food terms" than into "drug terms".  By the same token, "artificial baby milk" is not necessarily an undesirable label for many of my clients.  After all, they are quick to substitute "artificially-flavored Diet ____" for the "real thing".  To them, choosing the substitute is a positive decision since they're consuming fewer calories and fewer carbs.

I think that you have to know your audience and the context in which your choice of terms is employed.  For example, if I read about "ABM", I have to make sure I'm not reading about the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine <g>.  Quite frankly, I'm not sure that there *is* a perfect label for mother's milk subs, perhaps because it's not just a nutritional beverage substitute, but a substitute for Mom herself.

Trying to be careful of my choice of words in this e-mail with no offense intended,

Rebecca DeYoung Daniels, MBA, RD, LD, IBCLC, RLC & MOM to 5 in KS

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2