Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 18:09:28 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
The doctor on the website just replied. Find my questions (Q) and his answers (A) below.

Q: Is it true that the baby already received the pathogen causing the infection, even before the abscess was opened, through his mother's milk?

A: He MAY have received it but it is not sure he did.

Q: Is it true that antibodies are continuously produced in the milk?

A: If you mean antibodies effective against bacteria causing the abscess, my answer is NO. Antibodies in the milk are genetically and originally set and they do not adapt to a certain situation. The milk producing system is not an adaptive immune system.

Q: Is it true that in case the abscess is far enough from the nipple, after creating the right conditions for hygiene (covering the wound, hand washing, etc.) the baby may be nursed on the affected side?

A: An abscess cannot be far enough. It is well-known that bacteria can spread from the opened abscess to a lot larger distance than the size of a woman's breast. The "right" conditions for hygiene can never be so right that the nursing mother can be sure that no pathogen would get in and on the baby's body.

He also said that he supports breastfeeding. But not at any cost. There are well designed and manufactured artificial nutrients (he obviously means formula) and if breastfeeding becomes risky, it is not worth to force it.

ARGH!  Any comments? And pleeease let me have references I can provide him when I reply to him.

Thanks
Ibolya Rozsa, IBCLC
Hungary

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2