Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:12:06 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Saw a brief report today on a transgender male (was female) who had recently given birth.  It seemed when the gender reassignment surgery was done, only the breasts were removed and the internal famale organs were left intact.  When this person's wife was unable to have children, her spouse conceived and delivered the child.  What I found interesting was the brief comment that the wife was breastfeeding the baby.  There is to be a more complete report this evening on the 20/20 show.  The nature of the program is reported to be "What constitutes being male or female?".  I hope they will go into more detail about the breastfeeding, but perhaps that will bo too "shocking" (sarcasm definitely intended as the hostess of the program has NOT been very breastfeeding friendly in the past!)
This post is in no way intended to open a discussion about the subject of transgenders, etc, but to let you know about the possibility of a discussion of breastfeeding by a woman who did not carry and birth the infant.  I will be taping the program as I may be out, but will let you all know if BF comes up and how it is opresented if it is mentioned.

Winnie

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2