Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 09:46:11 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
Hi Donna
The issue for me is not "pumping" because that implies a mechanical device being used.  
The simple rule that I follow is that if the baby and /or the mother *want* to feed, an attempt should be made.  If unsuccessful, I ask the mother if she would like to express some milk and give it to the baby, rather than letting baby and mother just give up.  I believe that every time a baby *attempts* a breastfeed she/he should receive the *reward* which she/he instinctively knows is right.
So in answer to your question, I may help a mother to express her milk 1 hour after birth (it may only be beads of colostrum for the baby to lick), or at any time, if she thinks the baby needs it.  
A baby who wants to nurse but just can't get it together will respond beautifully - a few mls of colostrum on a teaspoon, directly from the breast often does the trick.  The sleepy baby who hasn't nursed well and mother is starting to worry will begin licking her/his lips, the eyes open and a look of expectation comes on the little face.   The mother also becomes enthused when she sees her baby respond to her milk.
I do this before there is any talk about poor feeding or supplementing the baby's intake.  Often the reward of a little bit of milk gives the baby enough energy or faith or whatever it takes to try again, and  many times the next attempt at attachment is successful.

Many babies are born with varying degrees of impairment of their ability to suckle effectively.  This may be caused by medication (narcotics, epidural anaesthetics) used in labour, or something else.  You often see a baby who seeks the breast but doesn't have the ability to complete the process.  These babies will fall asleep while they are being cuddled, but become either very fussy, or later lethargic, when not held.  These babies need their mother's milk, and lots of it, regardless of whether they are good at getting it for themselves or not.  If the problem is not solved quickly, cup feeding can be taught to the mother.  She knows that her baby needs her milk, and it's no fault of the baby's if she/he is not too good at getting the milk :)
These principles are the same for babies born at home, birth centre or hi-tech hospital.  Pumping is only one of the options for expressing milk on a long term basis - mothers can make those decisions when and if needed.  Some women become very effective at expressing their milk by hand, and prefer to use no gadgets at all.  The warmth and movement of a human hand on the breast is probably more comfortable than rigid plastic for those who learn the skill.
The mother needs to become the decision-maker ASAP - protocols about times and rules and regulations take the authority away from the mother.  The carer -  lc, doctor, midwife, nurse or anyone else needs to  inform and advise the mother (in a consistent and woman-centred way), but we do not help if we disempower her.  
That's my opinion.  I believe it is supported by evidence.  I hope you find it helpful.
With best wishes,
Joy Johnston, Midwife IBCLC
Melbourne Australia
-----Original Message-----
Sent:   Thursday, November 06, 1997 1:45 AM
Subject:        Pumping

Hi all...I have lurked for the better part of a year .....and now that I am
getting some knowledge under my belt but still have a long way to go...I
thought I would ask you  all what your opinion on a pumping issue in our
hospital.

If a baby is not able to latch on either because  too sleepy, sore head, etc
and has never latched since birth, when do you initiate pumping?  This is an
issue that our LC's can't all agree on.  Some say give the mom and babe 24
hours and then start pumping and milk supply will not be affected at all.
 Others say you should initiate pumping in 6-8 hours if breastfeeding has not
occured in order to cue the prolactin receptor sites.  What is your opinion?

By the way...I have been called the "Breastfeeding Police" lately in my
hospital by some of the Pediatricians and instead of being offended....I
think I will take it as a compliment.   I must be doing my job well as an
advocate for mother's who need support and since we would not need the
"Breastfeeding Police" if everyone would look at lactation as a science
instead of a "fluffy" service that the hospital offers to the their new
mothers.

Off the soap box for now....

Donna Cordoba RN BSN (new) IBCLC

ATOM RSS1 RSS2