Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2013 10:49:50 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
Hello everyone.  I did a search on the topic "Breastfeeding from a Christian  perspective" few months ago and found a little info on this topic.  Some of it was OK and some of it was just crazy.  So decided to start a blog to throw in my two cents worth -- which isn't much at all these days.  My goal was to provide some good breastfeeding information along with Scriptural principles with relate to the topics.  Again, the blog is from a Christian perspective -- which can be viewed in different ways.  A lot of what is claimed to be "Christian" does not necessarily adhere to the Bible and within the context of the passages from where a verse or two are taken.  Also, even "orthodox" Christians can disagree on some issues.  But, for what it is worth, here is my offering, based on what I have learned and come to believe over the years.  

The blog is meant to provide correct information on breastfeeding, to encourage Christian women, and to provide some information on what I believe to be a Biblical view for anyone who comes across the blog and is curious about some Christian beliefs.  Over the months of writing it, I has seen a tendency to warn women about formula companies and their influence over the breastfeeding "education" most of them receive from their health care providers and hospitals.

While many of the posts will reference one or more Scriptures which apply to the topic, some do not.

My favorite ones so far are "A Lesson in Slick Advertising", "But What If", and the blogs dealing with the incredible specificity of breastmilk in meeting the needs of babies and their mothers.   A major thread which runs throughout is that women deserve up to date, research based, information so they can make an informed decision.  Once that decision is made, her choice of infant feeding should be respected and supported.

If you have a patient or client who has been exposed to "Christian" material on breastfeeding, and this material is not supported by the research based information we provide as LCs, you might want to refer her to this blog.  Check it out yourself first, if you have any interest.

I hope at least some of you will find it useful in your practice.  To review it, go to www.PastorsWifeRN.blogspot.com.  Or you can go to www.PastorsWifeRN.com and click on "Blog: Pure Milk".  I have started a Facebook page which I hope will become a forum for support for Christian breastfeeding women.  It can be accessed through www.PastorsWifeRN.com or via www.Facebook/SincereMilk.

For those of you who might be wondering "Pure Milk" and "Sincere Milk" are terms found in the English Standard Version and in the New King James Version of the Bible in 1 Peter 2:2.  I could not get "Pure Milk" on Facebook so had to revert to the Old English version.

Perhaps the thing which started this all was a personal study I did of 1 Peter 2:2-3 years ago.  In it Peter writes "as newborn babes desire the pure milk of the Word . . .".  As I read it, I began thinking of all the ways human milk nourishes and protects the baby, and then saw the link of those attributes and the attributes of God's Word.  It is one of the most beautiful word pictures I has seen in Scripture.  Again, if you are interested, it can be found on the blog under the tab "1 Peter 2:2-3".

There are photos and posters in the blog for humor and emphasis.  Most sources have been identified and permission has been granted to use them.  If you happen to know a source of one you see without credit having been given, please email me at [log in to unmask]  I will immediately contact the owner and secure permission or take it down.  Thankfully, so far everyone has been kind and granted permission.  I had permission on some photos granted years ago.

Again, this blog is designed primarily for Christian women.  I respect that some LCs will not agree with the religious philosophy.  We are a diverse group.  But, we serve women of all faiths -- and sans faith.   But, I think you will agree with the breastfeeding information presented.  It is not a complete "how to" blog, but it should reinforce what we teach regarding breastfeeding itself.  If you like a particular article because of its generic content (such as "A Lesson in Slick Advertising"), but do not agree with the Scriptural principles presented in it or in the blog 
itself, you will not hurt my feelings if you want to "warn" a client in advance.  She can take away the information which applies directly to her current situation and leave the Scriptural principles on the blog.

It is not perfect, it is not complete, but I hope will find it helpful as you serve women of the Christian faith.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2