Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 15:22:08 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
If I may borrow a phrase from an American TV show, "I love it when a good plan comes together"!  Really, I love it when it works the way we tell moms it does.  I've had 2 victories today with moms I've been working with but one leaves me not only smiling, but beaming!  I posted about this mom
several weeks ago so I thought I'd share an update.  This mom had the almost 3 month old who would not only not nurse, he wouldn't even look at her.  It was very startling once I recognized what he was doing.  The NP who originally called me from the clinic to see if I could help this mom because
she couldn't, and I have talked about this mom a few times in the intervening weeks because we were both so concerned for her and felt bad for her breastfeeding experience.  I told her just recently that I wondered if the baby might be autistic because of his behavior.  Anyway, mom just called me to
tell me that "the light bulb finally turned on" and baby just started breastfeeding like a pro after weeks of doing lots of skin to skin, co-bathing, and not attempting breastfeeding during the day, though she said he would breastfeed at night!  She is ecstatic to be putting the pump away and the
baby to the breast.  She said everyone told her how much easier breastfeeding was, and she's thrilled that now she can finally experience what they're talking about!  She said he even breastfed in a Chuckie Cheese (loud pizza place in the U.S.!) the other night and she figures if he can breastfeed
there, he can do it anywhere!  This baby is almost 4 months old, and this mother has been through a nightmare.  I am thankful for the posts here that came from others who have dealt with babies who took months to finally 'get it'.  This was the longest I've had a mom have to work at it and I'm so
happy for her, her baby and her family!  What a beautiful gift to this family from this list.  ;-)

Marsha, who admires a mom who will stick with it as long as this mother did!

Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~John S. C. Abbot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2