Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:19:11 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
After lurking almost all year, and posting a few times, my introduction is overdue.

My name is Janice Reynolds.  Last year I was asked to become the first Consumer Representative on the Breastfeeding Committee for Canada (BCC).  The BCC is the National Authority for the Baby-FriendlyT Initiative, overseeing and facilitating the implementation of the Baby-FriendlyT Initiative in Canada.   See http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Falls/1136/contents.html#The%20Breastfeeding%20Committee%20for%20Canada for more info on the BCC.

I've also started a grass-roots group called Moms For Milk Breastfeeding Consumer Advocacy Network.  There are almost 400 names in its membership database already, both health professionals and lay persons from across Canada and the U.S, who are interested in working for breastfeeding protection and support.  I have written and distributed by email 2 newsletters, the first on "Your Rights" and the 2nd on "Informed Choice".  This newsletter is reviewed and endorsed by my local Health District, my provincial Breastfeeding Committee, the BCC and the Canadian Lactation Consultants Association.  You can view these two issues at
http://www.sdh.sk.ca./breastfeeding/mom's_for_milk.htm
What's my story?
I was a typical university-educated (Business and Marketing degree) career woman, who did little preparation for breastfeeding.  My nursing went okay until I had to return to work, when I wasn't willing to wean to fulfill my work's travel commitments.  I juggled taking my child along with me and working at home, "arguing" with my employer until I was eventually "let go" abruptly when my daughter was 19 months.  Read the full story at http://www.sdh.sk.ca./breastfeeding/MomsForMilk/member_profile.htm

This was the first time in my life that I felt "discriminated" against.  Now a fulltime SAHM (stay-at-home-mom) of 2 daughters, 4 and 2 years old, I put all my mental energy and spare time working on this issue.  Since I come from a "corporate" work background, and have worked as a sales/marketing professional for 10 years, I feel I can bring a different perspective to the promotion and support of breastfeeding.   I spent the next 2 years sitting on my local and provincial Breastfeeding Committees, wondering why this or that hadn't been done.  Then I decided that I would just have to go ahead and start doing these things.  And since I work best alone, I started Moms For Milk.  I think the key to change will be consumer activism, and that LLL cannot fullfill this.  The consumer organization is missing. There are alot of angry moms out there who want to help, but don't know what to do.  The Internet will make this possible.

Please email me at [log in to unmask] to request a Word file of my newsletters.  As a grass-roots organization, I encourage you to print out the newsletters, and distribute them to the parents and peers that you come into contact with.  By emailing me, I can enter your name into the database, and you will automatically receive upcoming newsletters.  And most importantly we can start building and documenting an organization of people who care about this issue.

I have MANY more thoughts and ideas to share and discuss with you, but will save them for upcoming posts.  Please excuse the length of this intro and my enthusiasm, but I'm SO excited to finally share my dream with all of you.

(Can you tell that I'm a salesperson??? ;-))

Janice Reynolds
Nokomis, Saskatchewan, Canada
[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2