Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2007 19:04:38 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Amen to everyone posting re: the tendency to hop on a bandwagon when trying to help a mom with a problem.  I confess to doing it myself on occasion.  The mom with the hour long latch issue may have any of a number of things going on, to certainly include tongue tie, and clipping won't fix everything (nor will s2s cure a cleft, etc.).  I hope I didn't sound like I jump to nipple shields for every problem.  I would try to sort out all the other possibilities first, of course.  Without finding some other factor, though, I would still rather have a baby nurse successfully with a shield than not nurse at all (and latch in a reasonable time so mom can enjoy nursing and have time to sleep, eat, etc.).

The asthma relationship to having been breastfed makes my brain hurt due to all the possible confounding variables.  I can't help but wonder if some statistically significant number of the mothers with asthma, whose babies showed no advantage of having been breastfed re: air flow, etc., WERE SMOKERS or live with or work with smokers?  It never ceases to amaze me how many people with identified problems like asthma will still smoke, or cuddle their babies after leaving smoke-filled places, or allow others to smoke around them and/or their babies.  I haven't read the actual study, but I can't help but wonder????  Also, perhaps there is an actual genetic component here that has yet to be identified, that may have given mom a predisposition to asthma, and which may also be a factor in the respiratory development of their babies' lungs?  There is still so much we don't know......  
--
Kay McKee

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2