Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 13:15:31 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
The following is excerpted from an article today (6/12/97) in "The Age", which is the big daily newspaper in Melbourne.
<A program to serve chilled milk to school children every morning will increase the State's milk consumption by between 4- and 5-million litres a year.
Australian Milk Marketing said the Milk for Schools program, ... is not just a marketing exercise.  ... "Students and teachers experience huge lethargy in schools at mid-morning ...lack of concentration, and with a lack of concentration comes a lack of absorption of what the classroom's trying to teach these kids.  And that's not good for our future.">
The historical background to this is that between the years 1946 and 1973 Australian state schools had a compulsory milk program - we were given a little bottle of milk each day.  It was delivered to the school in crates, and sat unrefrigerated for some time.  My memories from schools in sunny Queensland include warm milk with the cream on top.
This new program will require parents to pay 40 cents for a 200 ml bottle - 20c below retail price.  <The dairy industry will provide free fridges to schools, a recycling program, and notes for teachers on health and nutrition.>

I have to say that I don't avoid milk products - in fact I quite like them.
BUT I am concerned when a program like this is presented with the foregone conclusion that there will be positive outcomes for the children, the classes and the society.  It sounds to me like an uncontrolled experiment - without any ethical clearance. 

I am sure there are some well informed lactnetters who would like to comment on this from a nutritional, medical, and cultural perspective.  I will be interested in your comments.

Joy Johnston.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2