Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2011 07:08:39 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Dear all:

In 100% of the cases I have seen where a mother has been told she has an oversupply (and I have to say this is well into the 100s of cases now), the babies who have been failing to thrive are not taking in an adequate volume either because they are:

1) feeding infrequently 
2) drinking small amounts from the breast

In most of these cases, the mother has an overactive milk ejection reflex, but the baby is still not capable of drinking a sufficient volume.  

A fast flow is not the same thing as a baby drinking too much milk.  Overly full breasts is not the same as too much milk.  The baby may simply be incapable of draining those overly full breasts due to a variety of reasons including the many varied forms of tongue tie.

I'd be happy to believe that there is some sort of lactose overload that causes slow gain if someone actually showed me decent research to prove it. All I have seen on the topic is really quite speculative and can be attributed to other problems.  And again, I repeat that Cathy Genna provided nice research articles that showed it was the volume, not the fat that caused slow growth.

Bet regards, Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2