Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 2015 08:59:26 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (139 lines)
I truly feel all should be reading Maureen’s book. It sums up al lot of things but I feel that the information on the generational effects of cow’s milk, especially the additives given to perm babies in our country and others in North America are setting the most vulnerable up for ongoing problems, especially after already having the previous generational effects from the family. And add to that comment a question. So many babies in Canada are being put long term on reflux meds. what is that doing to the gut? I know one of meds and I cannot remember which one it is at this point but it causes a real drop in appetite.
Just some thoughts and a question
Attie

> On Oct 15, 2015, at 12:00 AM, LACTNET automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> There are 2 messages totaling 158 lines in this issue.
> 
> Topics of the day:
> 
>  1. not much traffic and an invitation
>  2. Need for supplements in first 48 hours?
> 
> Lactnet Archives are at:
> LACTNET Archives http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html
> To Manage your Subscription, ie go nomail, index, etc, go to:
> http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> LACTNET Facilitators
> Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC
> Rachel Myr, midwife, IBCLC
> Kathy Koch PhD
> Linda Pohl
> Karleen Gribble PhD
> Norma Ritter, IBCLC
> Nina Berry PhD
> 
> Questions to [log in to unmask]
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 14 Oct 2015 20:39:18 -0500
> From:    Laurie Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: not much traffic and an invitation
> 
> I have not had much time to respond, but I do continue to read Lactnet
> every few days. I have been on for about 20 yrs. I like Lactnet for it's
> international composition. And for the pro and con discussions. Just when I
> might be getting a little too sure of myself, something comes along to rock
> my perspective. Like recent discussions about tongue-tie, where I really
> was feeling that colleagues were finding it in every baby. Lactnet got me
> thinking the other way. At least it keeps my mind open and not closed on
> one way of thinking. One of my favorite participants is Pamela Morrison.
> She always provides a well-written and well thought out post. I do not
> participate in Facebook Lactnet, but I do hope this regular Lactnet
> continues.
> Laurie Wheeler IBCLC, RN, MN
> New Orleans LA and MIssissippi Gulf Coast
> USA
> 
> 
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 15 Oct 2015 13:27:55 +1100
> From:    Maureen MINCHIN <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Need for supplements in first 48 hours?
> 
> Rachel, I don’t know if you realise this, but this is what started my work almost 40 years ago, and has given my son problems all his life.  
> 
> It is also what my new and very different textbook documents, explains, and addresses: the cascading intergenerational consequences of comp feeds in western societies and the need to prevent this practice and work back via exclusive breastfeeding towards normal gene expression in family lines. I promise you that reading Milk matters will change the attitude of any paediatrician: they are not stupid, just ignorant of what they are setting in train.  There is even a discussion about the legal issues involved. 
> 
> I am so sad that Norway is belatedly heading down a track that causes so much misery in not only in the first generation being exposed, but also their children and grandchildren: truly, professionals do not know what they do when they comp feed  a baby. I am also sad that to date so many lactation consultants apparently do not see the importance of my very original and well-referenced book (proposing the Milk Hypothesis to replace the hygiene hypothesis) to their crusade against all such damaging practices.  Professor Roger Short thinks it will 'ultimately lead to the demise of the infant formula industry', Professor Mary Renfrew thinks it "will change the world and people’s perceptions of it”, but it will do so only if it is widely read. 
> 
> Like Frank Nice, I do not write books to make money. In fact any money I have made in my work has merely enabled me to do more of that work free, as I have never once charged a mother for help, and usually leave them with slings and books and pumps and so on which are rarely returned. I personally think that Lactnet should actively encourage the posting and response from list members to requests like Frank’s, provided they are simply put and provide contact details for more information. Only people who have never self-published a new book in this field think that there is money to be made from doing so! I have sold over 25,000 copies of both my previous books and have no savings to show for it. My choice, and I have enjoyed the freedom, so I am not complaining; Australia has an old age pension, which long-term self-funded breastfeeding advocates like myself and Virginia Thorley rely upon. But I do think Lactnet could serve as a vehicle for informing list members about new publications: to date, despite much enthusiasm and many promises, not one review has been published so almost 6 months has passed since my book was made available. It may be a wasted year before LCs read reviews. Perhaps some Lactnetter who has read my book could critique it and tell others whether I am exaggerating its importance. 
> 
> Maureen MINCHIN
> Medical historian, early signup to Lactnet, founding member of ILCA who helped create IBLCE, IBCLC 1985-2006, BFHI Lead Assessor Nigeria Feb 1992; BFHI educator and assessor Australia until 2010; author Food for Thought (1982-1992) Breastfeeding Matters (1985-1998) which addressed breastfeeding issues, and Milk Matters: infant feeding and immune disorder (2015) which addresses infant formula damage and its epigenetic consequences: www.infantfeedingmatters.com <http://www.infantfeedingmatters.com/> for responses to date. (I add this because a generation of Lactnetters has no idea who I am thanks to my taking a decade off Lactnet when caring for parents.)
> 
> 
>> 
>> 
>> Date:    Wed, 14 Oct 2015 19:08:35 -0400
>> From:    Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Need for supplements in first 48 hours?
>> 
>> While I find the topic distressing it is some comfort to see that my virtual living room is filled with people who are as aghast as I am about this.
>> 
>> Virginia, the most upsetting thing to me here is that Norway weathered the decline of BF initiation nearly everywhere else in the world at the time of industrialization, urbanization, aggressive marketing of breastmilk substitutes, and even institutionalization of childbirth. Nearly 100% of women had initiated breastfeeding from 1860 on. There has never been an artificially fed generation before, but I think we are seeing the beginnings of one now - two generations after the rest of the industrialized world and just a decade or so after Norway branded itself as 'world champions in breastfeeding' (no kidding, a lot of people here still actually believe that myth).  In the last five years, when women have EVERYTHING going for breastfeeding societally, the pediatricians have suddenly jumped on the blood sugar bandwagon so that pre-lacteal feeds of formula are almost more common than undisturbed skin to skin until the first feed. 
>> 
>> Baby-Friendly in Norway seems powerless to do anything about it. The evaluation process is now done by self-report, on line. Fox guarding chicken coop, IMO. 
>> 
>> I plan to start a discussion at work on the human rights violations inherent in depriving 1) women of any choice about how their baby is to be cared for if it falls into any one of the ever increasing number of high risk groups targeted for being given the milk of an alien species before getting a drop of colostrum from its own mother and 2) children of the right to have a chance to make a normal shift from intra- to extrauterine life without having their chances of being breastsfed jeopardized.  May need to involve the legal dept at the hospital on this one :-/
>> 
>> Rachel Myr
>> Kristiansand, Norway
>> where it's past my bedtime but just like in the old days, LN is still keeping me up. and fired up
> 
> 
> 
> COMMANDS:
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of LACTNET Digest - 14 Oct 2015 (#2015-379)
> ***********************************************

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2