Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 07:45:54 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
I am in the process of preparing a presentation about working with different cultures and beliefs, priorities, etc.

Of course in doing so, I do some research into beliefs of various groups - NOT because I am going to teach "everything there is to know" about any culture - but to highlight how we need to be open, aware of differences and respectful of what others believe.  For example, a father who does not touch his wife during childbirth might be considered, by hospital staff, to be uncaring, unloving, uninterested....OR he could be a practicing, believing Orthodox Jew.

A family might INSIST in whispering a prayer in their child's ear - instead of immediately putting them to the breast - or giving a baby something to eat that we think is inappropriate considering they are to be exclusively breastfed - BUT they may be practicing Muslims, believing their child MUST have this.

Some groups believe that circumcision is essential - others that it is barbaric.

I was raised outside the continental United States - and it was only after living here for decades that I BEGAN to comprehend the vastness of this country - imagine that all the countries of Europe were united under a "European Country" with a central government.  SOME people would want this central government to run everything - control everything - provide armed forces all the way to providing neighborhood schools.  Others may believe that the central government is there to protect from international threats - but that each country (read "state" in the United States) should run their own schools, cities, towns and make decisions about their citizens.

The size, complexity of differences that SEEM "united" because of the TV and Movies - are great, in the United States as they are among other countries in the world. They will make decisions that others will disapprove of - but so do my children, my boss, the mayor of my city, and the legislators of the state I live in...

Perhaps we need to concentrate on the topic of BREASTFEEDING and allow the people of the "United States" to make their decisions. There are other venues to address the differences in politics - but I don't believe Lactnet is this venue.

I DO appreciate hearing of different ways of handling maternal leave, military needs, etc. when they are related to breastfeeding - but in my opinion this subject line is going way beyond that!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2