Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:52:49 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Just adding my two cents...

For the first exam, I like to examine my patients in a well lit place (unfortunately at the two hospitals I attend lighting is hideous in the patient rooms-  hard to tell if a baby is blue or yellow or pink...) that has an otoscope and opthalmoscope available.  Unfortunately that place is generally in the "nursery."   There are times when 5 or more physcians are examining babies- I wish there were multiple diagnostic sets at both hospitals, but they break down, get lost, sprout legs (no they are not in the wall in the mom's rooms)- same is true for the stethoscopes.

I always call ahead to let the nurses know that I am coming.  I don't want a baby away from mom any longer than necessary either.  I enjoy having the parents at the bedside.  I also make sure that I talk to the parents after my exam (something foreign to most of my colleagues in town).

If a mom insists, I'll do the first exam in her room.  I like doing the followup exams in the parents room as much as possible.  Just some days when I have four or more newborns to see in a short rounding time it helps me a lot to "batch the exams" then talk to the moms.

I long for those leisurely days when I can spend a long time (in the hospital I call long more than 15 minutes a piece- keep in mind the average primary care doc spends only SEVEN minutes per patient) with each of my patients.  But I do have time constraints and also have to get back to the office to see patients there as well.

Some days, I would like a clone... short of that a bit of understanding would be helpful.

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett, MD
Modesto CA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2