Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:46:46 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I can tell you that I believe that winding or burping is a gift from the bottle feeding and scheduling of feeding/pacifier groups.  I was pleased to read a study that showed that babies get alot of air in their stomachs from crying.  I also have seen that babies with a too rapid flowing bottle will need burping, probably because they are gulping.

Now, if we could get some proof that pacifiers cause air swallowing...
Liz,  thanks for the great come-back about babies using their moms as a pacifier.  Sincerely, Rachel Wahl RN IBCLC> > Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:19:38 EST> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: "Winding"> > Pamela says:> > Whereas > African mothers never did this, though babies were upright after > feeding as a result of being strapped back on the back. It has to be > a cultural myth I think that feeding causes gas or wind. The > European mother would feed the baby, eventually the baby would go > blissfully to sleep on the breast, whereupon the mother would > abruptly sit him up or throw him over her shoulder, and start rubbing > or slapping his back to get up a burp.> > ******************************************************************************> **> > We are mammals. When was the last time you saw a mother cat whap her > kittens on the back after a feed? Where on earth did this come from? I suspect > from the bottle feeding culture.> > Not that I've ever seen any animal being "burped" even if they have been fed > by bottle for whatever reason.> > Whenever I tell a mom she doesn't have to burp her baby -- for the above > reason, she is SHOCKED. SHOCKED, I say!! She feels compelled to burp for 10 to > 15 minutes or whatever it takes. And then whines because feedings take "so > long."> > Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC> www.lactationeducationconsultants.com> > > > 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2