Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 20:10:16 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (2 lines)
I am an RN and a breast feeding educator at a local Level II neonatal care unit.  It is common practice for the pediatricians to order 2pkts of powdered human breast milk "fortifier" to the EBM fed to the preemies.  This product is very expensive & our hospital has not been charging the pt for the product.  The sales representative that supplies this stated that regular powdered formula could be added to the EBM with the same nutritional benefit as the fortifier.  I was wondering if adding corn oil to the infants' diet would be just as beneficial in increasing the caloric intake. Do you believe this powdered formula would be just as good as the fortifier?  I would rather see no fortifiers added at all, as the same old problems with emesis, constipation, etc. usually occur when additives are put into the EBM that contain cow's milk.  Any insight would be helpful. Can figure out why he would suggest we use a product he will give us for free instead of the product he's selling that we get charged an arm & a leg for...?

ATOM RSS1 RSS2