Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:21:40 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
My name is Alicia Claesson, and I am a nursing student at the University of North Dakota. As I was researching breast feeding after the return to work, I came upon the disappointing evidence that with the mother’s return to work, also comes an end to the preferred choice of infant nutrition, breastfeeding. Exclusive breastfeeding for six months and beast feeding with complementary foods for at least 12 months is the ideal feeding pattern for infants (Dobson & Murtaugh, 2001). I am amazed but determined to understand why this is, and to find ways to improve this statistic. Wyatt (2002) states that the decision to stop breastfeeding after returning to work is due in part to lack of prenatal education and preparation. Also, breastfeeding mothers must go up against the cultural acceptance of bottle feeding, non-supportive work environments, and role overload. With this information, I decided that education is of utmost importance in this situation. Advice about education on brea
st feeding from Johnson (2002) includes not restricting the topics of mother hood to a single issue, but rather educate, support, and encourage on all issues so mothers have the opportunity to make informed decisions. Mothers should be knowledgeable on all of the benefits of breast feeding after the return to work. Not only should the teaching include the benefits to the mother, infant, and family, but also to the employer. Wyatt (2002) explains that to be successful at breast feeding and working, the mother needs five things: a breast pump, a private room, adequate breaks to pump, a refrigerator to store the milk, and most importantly, a supportive employer. All of these needs must be addressed prior to returning to work. Mother’s must be prepared to pump while at work to maintain their milk supply. I am hoping that with more education and planning, mothers will be prepared and committed to continue breast feeding after their return to work. I am wondering what more we as nu
rses can do to increase the amount of breast feeding women in the work place.  

Thank You,
Alicia Claesson
Nursing Student, University of North Dakota     

Dobson, B., & Murtaugh, M. (2001).   Position of the American Dietetic Association:
     Breaking the barriers to breastfeeding. American Dietetic Association, 101, 1213-

Johnson, R. (2002, February 20).  Guilt and the decision to breast-feed.  Retrieved 
     September 22, 2003, from 
     http://www.mayoclinic.com/printinvoker.cfm?objectid=9B23D319-4702-4062-
     A4AC95548937863B

Wyatt, S.(2002). Challenges of the working breast feeding mother: Workplace solutions. 
     AAHON Journal, 50, 61-67.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2