Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 18:34:43 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
this supermarket thing is start to get like the Rush ties- out of hand.

I realize you cannot see the people who write in messages,when Chris and I wrote in about the running up and down the aisles we were laughing hysterically and I guess we thought you would too,

I don't think any responsible person berates anyone else on this subject, you can sugest hint, etc. Many of us have had enough major crises in our lives to understand this and find laughter is a great help to defuse. Especially laughing at ourselves. Sometimes I think that the longer you have been in this business the more you have to find humor in what is around you.

What I have been seeing here is a lot of taking oneself too seriously in all things. We have a lot of responsibility in dealing with families and I know that we take this very much to heart.

I also don't think that a woman who has tried to breastfeed and for some reason couldn't go on with it should feel a failure. Everyone does their best. When you have a lack of education that is something else and that is more or less what we are trying to remedy. The frustration of not getting our message across is what sometimes drives us to a bit of craziness- every time you take a step forward either you have to go back or just hit a new wall.

I have said many times that there are instances as an LC, BF counsellor,etc when the most important thing one can do after listening is to tell the mother that it is OK not to breastfeed. The most important thing is to love your baby.

Hope we can go on to other things and stay with the thread at the time we are verbally quilting. Getting back to something we have more or less dropped is not helpful at all times.  We are all human and in the non- scientific stuff lets look for levity.  What this group gives up is a lot of undertanding and support - none of us are superstars signing contracts for big bucks.

About the LC who never returned the call, or other not nice things - maybe the mother should have called back to remind the LC. Maybe the LC had a crisis, maybe that particular LC is a creep - no generalities please. Not every one is as wonderful or as perfect as we are (yes that is also a joke!)

EVI

ATOM RSS1 RSS2