Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2012 23:21:47 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Does anyone have a favorite way to use a nursing supplementer?  I am looking for alternative ways to present the tubing.  I've read that Catherine Watson Genna recommends that the tubing be placed on the tongue side of the breast and I've seen video of Jack Newman pusing the tubing in at the corner of baby's mouth.  Where do you get tubing that is stiff enough for that?

The best way that I have discovered so far is to tape the tubing at the palate side of the breast and for mom to hold her breast with her fingers compressing the breast underneath and and present the lower part of her breast to baby's lower jaw first and use her thumb to hold the tubing very close to the base of her nipple and push the nipple in with the tubing and then lift baby's lip up with her thumb as baby latches.

I have not figured out how to let baby self attach in a laid back position with a supplementer and I have not successfully helped a mom to push the tubing in after latching.  I think I would need firmer tubing to do this.

What are your experiences?

Laura Spitzfaden LLLL, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2