Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:42:46 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Hi Denise,
    What struck me was the baby's early "contentedness", including going on relatively few weeks, not wanting a night feed very early, and refusing to feed while sleepy.  I put "contendedness" in quotation marks, for good reason.
    On first impressions, to most people, here would be the "ideal" baby.  However, the sequelae suggest to me that, instead, here was a baby who needed more frequent feeding, and who - for whatever reason - wasn't able to do so.  Could it have been developmental?  Perhaps you'll never know.
    The refluxing may have been a factor - almost certainly would have been a factor - in the baby's unsettledness later.  Plus low supply.  I'm not surprised that this little one is not happy to be feeding lying down, in the morning, as I understand that lying down (posture) + feeding (which stimulates extra gastric acid production) are going to contribute to regurgitation of gastric acid.  I'm sure, Denise, you can give the mother ideas for a suitable posture during feeding to prevent this.  What I've found also very helpful has been for the mother to hold her baby across her body or on her shoulder in a 45% angle for about 20-30 mins after a feed to allow drainage of any refluxed stomach contents.  (The time spent is probably less than if she has a distressed baby after laying him down.)
     As it took longer than anticipated for this mother's milk volume to raise, I would wonder if the baby's skills at achieving good milk transfer were less than optimal, even if everything seemed all right.  So that brings me back to my thoughts about the apparently "contented" newborn, and whether there was a developmental lag, and he only started to demand more after catching up.
    Obviously, without seeing the baby, these comments are what we call in Australia "educated guesses".  Perhaps they will be of use to the mother concerned, and/or, they may help someone else.
     Virginia
     In Brisbane, Queensland
     where the Olympic torch came through
     today, though I didn't see it.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2