quoted-printable
Message-ID:
Sender:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
"K. Jean Cotterman" <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Further thinking after my post yesterday:

I wonder what the 20th century history of tongue-tie release has been in other countries and cultures (less effectd by U.S. medical historical trends). Cultures with many more births attended by midwives would be of interest to know about in regard to tongue-tie treatment changes or not. It strikes me that many languages seem to require much more "athleticism" of the tongue to articulate clearly and rapidly. 

What if a child in such a culture were to have a tongue-tie?? This might have been a stronger reason to continue release.

Now that I have hearing problems, I have definitely taken notice that the speech of people of some nationalities is much more rapid (and intricate) than others. I now find rapid speech much more difficult to follow. I frequently find myself asking others from many backgrounds, even my own city's youth, to speak more slowly on the phone. This is especially so for some whose accent seems to be from India, or those with some Hispanic accent to their English. How have those with various languages coped in their cultures in the 20th century when U.S. medical culture underwent this change?

I would look it up in Allison's book, as I bet for sure she may have investigated this in some depth. But my copy is currently "on loan" to a local dentist to whom many local LC's have been making referrals;-) As soon as he uses my postage paid return envelope, I have selected the next dentist to whom I would like to expose this "cultural gem" of tongue-tie insight;-) Just one of my little contributions to our local scene;-)

K Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC, Dayton, OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2