Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2013 19:57:36 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
Great news Nikki!

I did this last year and our skin to skin in the OR rates went from 15% to 62% and rising!

Some tips I found helpful..
1.  Enlist a labor nurse who is a circulator in the OR and familiar with the cast of anesthesiologist and CRNAs to come with you
2.  Acknowledge it's a change of practice, but that it is an EVIDENCED based practice...which is what we are all supposed to do, right?
3.  Besides listing the physiologic benefits from S2S discuss that families find it hugely satisfying and aren't we all trying to have happy patients...aka good HCAHP scores
4.  Realize the underlying fear for most anesthesia staff is that they don't want to be responsible for the newborn.  Most are out of their comfort zone with this age group.  Talk about how you will alleviate that.  That (hopefully) there will be a nurse assigned to the infant while doing s2s in the OR.

I asked them for 2 things...to be supportive.  AND if they couldn't, to at least be nice.  
They agreed!

I also gave them my pager so in case there was an issue they could speak directly to me. And listened to their suggestions and ideas

Most importantly...follow up later.  I love to catch people doing something right.  Forward letters from pts talking about how nice it was...comment to the dept head when you hear it's going well.  Thanks them for their support

I now have anesthesia asking when the baby's goig s2s if there's a hold up.  We've also had less nausea and vomiting ..but that's a good research study for another time :)

Good luck!
Denise Bulpitt RN BSN IBCLC
Who is currently relocating to Dallas, tx and joining the amazing staff at UT southwestern

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2