Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:56:46 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
"My experience has been that very few families know that formulas should not be used with well water or even tap water but distilled water .. often they have commented that they boil the water first so it must be fine .. but if their wells are high in minerals or going through a softener, or if their piping is copper, this only concentrates the minerals including sodium and puts an abnormally high load on the kidneys.. "

oops - sorry .. should have said that few families know that concentrated or pif should not be used with untested well water, contaminated water or well water that has a high mineral content or is "softened" and if their municipal tap water has a high concentration of fluoride, parents may want to use distilled or "nursery" water for all or part of the feedings (as boiling the tap or well water only concentrates the minerals)...  and my understanding, from dealing with high lead levels myself is, if they have copper or lead piping, they need to run their tap for at least a minute first before using the water. 

The last mother I was helping who was supplementing has not had her well tested recently and was not even boiling the water for her newborn's supplement.. but is now using "nursery" water with the pif as per the directions on the label. I have sent her the WHO recommendations.

Celina, LLLL, IBCLC  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2