Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2018 11:16:09 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Hi all!

Excuse the ignorance of my question...  PTP I have a pt I thought had yeast on her nipples, cultured the nipples for verification.  Culture came back positive for staph aureus.  Mom is now panicky and wanting to quit breastfeeding.  I put her on Mupirocin cream. She has no abscess, no systemic symptoms, no breast pain.  Nipples are red, slightly shiny with white curds....    She is asking me questions I do not know the answer to.  I did some research and am not finding the answers I need.  She has concerns of transferring staph aureus to her infant. Since it is on her own skin I stated she may have transferred it to her infant, who is one month old.  Infant is healthy with no ill symptoms. I explained to her the prevalence of staph aureus in the community.  I discussed pumping and not breastfeeding until nipples are healed.  She had concerns of staph aureus being in her breastmilk, I offered to culture her milk. She has declined at this time.  She would like a systemic antibiotic instead of topical mupirocin.  I explained that since she is symptom free, no fevers, abscesses etc an antibiotic is not indicated at this time.   She asked about feeding her freshly EBM to her infant.  I can't find much info on this?  I feel the acidity of the gut and the antimicrobial properties of the milk would decrease the amount of staph her infant would be exposed to?  I thought possibly freezing the milk for a time period would kill some of the staph if she was really concerned?  Does flash pasteurizing kill staph?  I do not know these answers and after some searches am not finding concrete answers.  So, any info related to this case greatly appreciated!   

Also, where else do you go to find evidence based answers to breastfeeding questions?  I use UpToDate which is not rich in breastfeeding resources, Lactnet, and google scholar for peer reviewed articles....

Thanks!  This site IS rich in breastfeeding answers and I thank you all who share their wisdom for all to benefit.
Kim Kuopus  FNP, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2