Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:59:31 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I have permission to post about a mom and her 8 week old baby girl. This is her second child and she experienced painful nursing throughout her son's 2 year bfing time.She always had abundant milk with the son.  I met her for the first time when daughter was 20 days old because mom is not interested in another 2 years of pain.(My understanding is that the pain was mechanical related to strong milk supply, not thrush or anything specific like that). I observed a nursing, lots of milk pouring out, baby took 1.5oz with barely being latched on, almost no suction (mom can just pull off at any moment) lots of clicking. Digital suck exam has baby with tongue firmly up in back, alternating with sawing motion. Mom already had been shown some suck training as in getting baby to drop tongue, but we knew we needed to work on supply issue too.Mom has been staying on one side per feeding and gradually increasing time. Over the last month she has tried some of my suggestions but not others(can't
 figure out how to lie on her back and BF for example, didn't start herbs for reducing supply. But did try some things on her own for example: A friend with normal supply BFed the daughter and experienced no pain, (it took daughter a few minutes to catch on, but relaxed and apparently enjoyed the BF)
Have referred to cranio-sacral therapy and OT (the OT referral brought on the incident with the friend. She is seeing OT today, but in tears last night as baby has only gained 6oz in last 4 weeks. I think at some level neither mom or baby want to nurse, but mom also wants to do what is best for baby and know she managed for son. She will pump  and bottle fed if no other solutions are found.
/sorry this is so long. any ideas. Thanks
Janet Dombro, ibclc

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2