Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 22:32:07 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
"In my area, most CLCs are fairly good at letting the public know we are not IBCLCs so we should not be treated as such. I do not have the expertise nor have demonstrated the same knowledge as an IBCLC though the exam.  We can help with the basics but that's about it. Maybe it's different in the rest of the country or other areas."

Shannon, I don't know where in Wisconsin you are, but I can assure you that in my area there are CLCs who regularly diagnose over the phone, make assessments that they have not been trained to do, and create train wrecks for the IBCLC some of these mothers eventually get to.  That may not be the fault of the instructors at Healthy Children, but I can tell you that it's a significant problem.  These CLCs work in an OB/Gyn office, so are presumed by the mothers to be skilled at lactation.  I'm glad you're aware of your limitations and are willing to refer on; I wish they were.

Becky Krumwiede, IBCLC until October when it will lapse after 25 years
(With enough CERPs to renew, but unwilling to spend the money now that I am retired)
Appleton, Wisconsin

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2