Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 21:44:03 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Though I mainly lurk and absorb the volumes of information that come my way from the list, I had to de-lurk to share this.

I know it is anecdotal, but it is so warm and fuzzy.

Over the last few months I have been chatting with my 4 year old about letting go of booby, telling him that he can have a party and a present of his choice when he decides that he no longer desires to nurse ( I am currently unilaterally feeding my 16 month old daughter and the boob is getting a *bit* tired. I am being very gentle and tell him that it is his choice...I'm just encouraging it.

Well.........

I have currently started working 12 hour shifts during the day doing palliative care and I have to express a couple times. My daughter has been okay with out me having my hubby bring her to me. I am bring in home about 8 ounces from two pumping sessions.

Last night I cam home and when I took the bottles out of the case, my daughter stared making noises (loud ones!) till I gave her the bottle with a straw in it ( is an advent and has the one top attachment for straws). Needless to say I was bursting to nurse her and was a bit amazed she was was more interested in the bottle. She has never had a bottle EVER! Well she left about a half ounce in the bottle and my 6 year old son (inadvertently weaned at 5 months...you know the story...same old, same old.....) asked if he could have it, naturally I said sure. Well he sucked it back! His comment was mmmmmmmmm good booby milk!  When I asked him if he wanted to nurse again, He said that he liked booby milk in a glass and not from the booby. Too cute.

Well I worked a second day and came home with another two bottles of about 4 ounces each. He held them up and said..."is one for me?"...I said sure, opened the top and stuck a straw in it. He sucked it back saying ...."now I won't get sick." 

Well, next thing you know my 4 year old is saying,,," I think I'll change my plan, my plan was to not drink booby, but not any more".

Needless to say hubby and I were cracking up laughing!

Whoever said breastfeeding wasn't fun(ny). Gosh we all felt wonderful after that moment in breastfeeding.

Patricia

Patricia Blomme RN
Perinatal Nurse
VP Canadian Childbirth Association
Birth Educator/Doula
Lay Breastfeeding Counselor
my website: Heads Up! All About Breech Babies http://members.home.net/ibirth/index.html
Our greatest food for thought is.......breastmilk! 

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2