Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2006 22:49:54 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
On my vacation, I had yet another observation of why breastfeeding makes life simpler.  While 
many of us have pondered the new regulations on transporting breast milk, I had not fully 
contemplated what this might do to the formula feeding mom.  I saw this poor mother with two 
suitcases full of stuff for her baby frantically rearranging items to get her checked luggage below 
the weight limit.  Incredibly, most of the luggage was powdered formula and bottled water.  This 
was a domestic flight, so I can't quite understand why she needed to bring all the very heavy water 
with her instead of buying it at her next location.  The poor thing was so flustered, however, that I 
didn't even dare suggest that maybe she might take out a few bottles of the water and buy some 
more where she was going.  

Before each flight everyone was gulping down their supersized drinks (nothing under 20 ounces 
could be found in any airport terminal we went through) before the flights.  This of course 
resulted in everyone having to duke it out over the bathrooms once the seatbelt light went back 
on. I finally lost it on the final flight when we got up at 4:30 am to be there 2-1/2 hours early for a 
domestic flight and my son managed to sneak in a three day old 1/3 full bottle of Sprite (which he 
had never had before in his life but I let him have it because his cousins were drinking soda) into 
our snack bag.  I had no idea it was in the snack bag having been sure it had been tossed days 
before.  The screener suggested that my son drink it and as I muttered my way to the trash can 
saying I"m not feeding this to my kid at 5:00 am, the woman behind snottily told me "Everyone 
has known about these rules for 2 weeks."  Clearly not a mother or she would have understood 
how children manage to sneak things along that you really don't want to be dragging around with 
you.

Best, Susan

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2