Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:54:34 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Dear LactNetters-

I am writing for a friend who is currently with her 6 day old in hospital.  Her question concerns the appropriate amount of breastmilk to be given to a full term baby through ng tube.  Let me describe the situation:

Baby boy born 6 days ago, 9.1 oz at birth, now 10 lbs.  38 wks delivered by planned c-section.  Mother's fifth child (all previous by section, all previous breastfed long-term).   Diagnosed with Respiratory Distress and put on ventilator.  Doing better, tapering oxygen.  Given breastmilk through ng tube at rate of 18 ml per hour.  History of severe family allergies.  Mother is being told that baby needs more milk per day to meet his caloric needs but they will not give him more breastmilk volume for fear that his lungs will become wet.  Told baby needs 26-30 calories per oz of breastmilk.  Mother is being asked to accept adding one scoop of similac per feeding, or addition of 1 tablespoon canola oil per feeding, or the addition of "elemental formula" to breastmilk.  Hospital does not have an LC on staff.

Baby has many wet diapers and had produced 3 bms today.  Mother does not wish to supplement and feels her milk supply is adequate and that this pace of feeding is perhaps excessive.   She would like to cull hindmilk and add to her own milk as a 'supplement' but hospital is unsure of this idea.

If anyone has ideas about this specific case OR guidelines for the amount of calories/ounces a term baby needs to take in per day by day six, mother would appreciate it greatly.  (Mother and child are in Dallas, if any local contacts are available.)

I apologize if this post does not include all needed information, I am not a LC or nurse.  Please feel free to ask for more information if it would assist.

Thank you-
Monique Jones
LLL, Greater Ft. Meade, MD
[log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2