Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2013 21:28:19 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (49 lines)
Lisa,
Thank you for this thought provoking post!  The only idea I came up with is what medications she received during her tubal? If her BP dropped, for example, the anesthesiologist may have given her ephedrine or neosynephrine to raise her pressure-- and these meds are known to decrease milk supply; but I don't know for how long. Dr Thomas Hale might know. Other meds given pre and post procedure could also be the culprits. 
Good luck and let us all know!
Melinda

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 2, 2013, at 2:24 PM, Lisa Paul <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have PTP.
> Excuse my approximations, I was not planning to post this and I had an idea on my drive home so all my notes are at the office.
> 
> Baby is about 2 1/2 months old today, weighs 16lbs.  (birth wt over 8 lbs) Baby has acid reflux.
> 
> Mom is in her early 30's, and this is her third child.  She BF the 2nd child for close to year, I believe.  Has been exclusively BF up until 2 weeks ago.  At that time she had a tubal, did not pump or extract milk for 12-24 hours.  She said that when she did go back to BF, the milk was watery.  She continued trying to BF, but her milk dried up.  She has tried to hand express and nothing comes out.  She continues to let baby nurse at the breast, but baby is not getting any milk, and she hears no swallows.  Mom also takes non-estrogen birth control for control of heavy menstrual bleeding.  
> 
> I encouraged her to continue with allowing baby to suckle at the breast.  I suggested that she follow up with her MD for thyroid testing, potential galactogogues, and prolactin levels.  
> 
> But something continues to niggle at me about this.  Why did her milk dry up so quickly?  Then it hit me that the 8 lbs of weight gain in the first 2 months probably meant that her milk was pouring out of her breast without any real effort from the baby.  If that is the case, baby may not know how to extract milk but is used to passively drinking?  Would that coupled with a brief break in BF cause this cascade of events?  
> 
> M would like relactate, but I am not sure what to tell her to do to make that happen.  She does not own a pump, but I would be able to provide her with one if that would be useful.  
> 
> I appreciate your input!  
> 
> Lisa
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2