Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:21:33 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
Hi again,   Due to the lack of response to my previous post I am posting again to impart more info.  I was consulted for an infant admitted into NICU for apnea, post discharge from a Newborn nursery.  The infant's blood level of calcium is high.  Among the things being ruled out was the possibility of mothers' milk containing too high calcium.  Mom was taking fenugreek and was concerned that it may have been the cause.  I assured mother that I have not read or heard of this being a possible side effect of fenugreek but I would look deeper.   Infant's level has remained high despite Mom's elimination of supplements and meds.   Our lab said they could not check Mom's milk for calcium and referred the Neonatologist to M*** J****** which is located here in the heart of our city.  The Neo is an advocate of breastfeeding and we did not want to consult with them...just seemed like the wrong thing to do.  I hope this info helps.

Jan Coffman RN IBCLC, 11 year LDRP/NBN/Circulating Nurse, now hospital based LC.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2