Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:09:04 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Hello, I’m a nursing student at Ivy Tech Community College and there is a subject that I 
am interested in and I would love your feedback.

I would like to ask the lactation consultants out there, how do you feel about alternative 
methods of providing breast-milk to infants?  Today’s families are so diverse.  I’m 
referring to adoptive families, gay and lesbian families, and single fathers.  This question 
applies to mothers that are unable to provide breast-milk to their infants, as well.  I’m 
familiar with the wet nurses of the past, but I just discovered that there are now milk 
banks.  In fact, the state of Indiana (my current residence) just opened the 10th milk 
bank in the nation.  Their website states that the milk they provide “helps premature and 
sick infants by connecting those in need of human milk with screened donor mothers”. In 
addition, I read an article that stated older children with digestive problems and some 
adults suffering from cancer have benefited from the donated breast-milk, as well. I find 
this very fascinating and I would like to know what your views are on this topic.  Is 
donating milk ever suggested to a mother who lost an infant or to a client expressing an 
overload of milk?  

Thanks for your time,
Laura Lee

http://www.clarian.org/portal/IMMilkBank

Asp, Karen.  Banking On Breast Milk. Good Housekeeping; Apr2007, Vol. 244 Issue 4,   
p84-86, 2p, 1c

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2