Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2018 01:21:36 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Hello All,
I have done a cursory search in the archives and found nothing that stood out about when a Mom could start domperidone.  
Permission to Post: Mother just had her 3rd C/S, 2nd planned C/S, baby is 2 days old, 39wk pregnancy, previously breastfed both other children, with lots of struggle and occasional supplementation. Mother of baby has difficult to categorize breasts, not clearly hypoplastic, but not round and full, small to med and soft, nipples face outward, Her own mother (Grandmother of baby) had ordered domperidone and has it on hand, remembering the experiences with the other two.  She has contacted me at the close of day 2 stating the baby had lost weight (not sure about percentage) was hungry, crying and rooting most of the time, urine had changed from pale yellow to dark and 1-2 dark stool (over the 48h).  Little to no stool.  Mother does not appear to have gone through Lact II, and does not appear to have fuller breasts than on day 1.  There was a small amount of colostrum.

My gut tells me they should wait to start the Domperidone (no maternal risk factors) until it is clear that Lact II is, in fact, delayed or compromised.  Trouble is, this will necessitate supplementation with formula.  We do not have a milk bank in our region. 

Does anyone know of a recommendation on when (in days of age of baby) to start Domperidone?  And, in addition, is there knowledge on its effect on hypoplasia?

Thank you so much, any information is appreciated,
LjBerk, IBCLC in El Paso

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2