Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:37:01 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
You know, after thinking about this information on the possible e coli link to crib death via contamination of the mattress, I have started to wonder.  The article posted earlier mentions a particular kind of mattress that is at higher risk for harboring these bugs and releasing them in what is
described as "a cloud" of bacteria around the baby when it moves.  This mattress is the one previously considered to be lower risk for harboring bacteria so one would think it is the most often used.  Now I wonder, what kind of mattresses are in our isolettes, on our warmers?  Anyone know?  Can you
imagine the risk we might be putting babies in by keeping them in isolettes so much if the mattresses were the high risk kind?  How many (formula mainly) babies spit up in the cribs?  The article mentions there are many more bacteria as the number of babies using the crib increases.  Really puts
this whole issue in a different light.  It could change the requirements for day-care providers, for instance, who take care of multiple babies.  Really could be far reaching.  (I sent a copy of this article to Jim McKenna, also, as I'm thinking of the doctor on our Safe Sleep Committee who insisted
babies had to be in cribs and there was no excuse for ever bringing a baby into your bed!)

Marsha, who is totally grossed out at this image of a cloud of bacteria/germs or who-knows-what encircling a baby as it moves in a crib.

Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~John S. C. Abbot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2