Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 08:16:11 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
I can't tell you how happy I am to hear a good news story about a hospital in Manhattan that is 
actually increasing the staff load as Rachel.  The last few years I have heard more and more 
disheartening stories of mothers not getting help in the hospital.  I am sure that my sample of 
mothers is skewed towards those that did not have good care so I don't get to hear about the 
hospitals that are making improvements.  One hospital used to have a lactation consultant that I 
heard a lot of complaints about, but at least she was there.  Then they had one that seemed to last 
for a few months.  Now they have no one.  I get lots of calls "Will you please, please, please come 
to the hospital?"  Then there is another hospital where they should have enough staff because they 
are touted as a breastfeeding friendly hospital and I still get the "please, please come" calls.  I 
never go there because I am should I might inadvertantly step on some hospital protocol and I 
wait until they come home.

What I would love to hear is that there some hospital in Manhattan that has adequate coverage on 
holidays and in August.  I would love it it those of us working outside the hospital could cover 
holidays and August.  Whenever one of us decides they will stick it out during a holiday or during 
August, we make a lot of money and burn out.  I have finally picked the holidays I will and will not 
work.  I always work Thankgiving morning, but reserve other holidays for my family.  I was feeling 
hopeful this fall because I am coming up on my five year recertification.  I thought, wow, now 
maybe we can start training more IBCLCs and build bridges to the hospital.  If the scope of work 
stands as written, there will be no sensible person in Manhattan that would want to enter a 
profession that so totally limtis autonomy.

Best regards, 

Susan Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2