Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 19:09:32 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Rhoda Taylor, IBCLC

While I don't know anyone who works with breastfeeding moms who suggests ROUTINE use of
anything on the breasts or nipples, I am aware of hospitals' need to give them something
"to make them feel better." The hospitals that I am familiar with were routinely giving
Masse Cream or Eucerin to ALL breastfeeding moms and not properly letting EVERY mother
know that it must be removed.  To me, USP Mod. lanoilin is a much safer and better
product to give in a hospital that feels that they must give these moms something to
take home.

No cream can take the place of good breastfeeding instruction and proper positioning
(which I might add IBCLC or a breastfeeding support person is not available in all
hospitals at this time for such help) but it has been my personal experience that moms
feel better when using this product to treat soreness or pain and can then pay more
attention to correcting the cause and may breastfeed longer as a result.

I disagree that Lansinoh or whatever brand you choose has no healing effects.  You might
try looking at Sue Huml's piece on this topic.

"Moist Wound Healing for Cracked Nipples in the Breastfeeding Mother"  LEAVEN
January-February 1994.

If you need a copy, I will be happy to send you one.  It got me through severely cracked
and chewed to a pulp nipples during teething.  I didn't believe it until I used it.

--
Melissa Brancho
The Nursing Corner
RD 7 Box 382
Bedford, PA  15522
Fax & Voice: 814-623-9357
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2