Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2013 11:09:29 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Most scales are more accurate but it still has a lot to do with the person doing the weight. Someone who understands how importance 20 grams is can make a difference. Someone who does not understand what normal weight gain is can make mistakes and not even realize it.

I always weigh on the same scale. Not only do I weigh on the same scale once a week I check my scale. I know that a dry newborn diapers weighs 18 grams so I place a diaper on the scale once a week to make sure it reads 18 grams. When the baby is naked if they are rolling over or crying I place them on their stomach - they usually stop crying and feel more comfortable and stop moving I am now able to get a more adequate weight. And then just for better measures I check the weight 3x. (why 3? I don't know, maybe because of the saying 3s a charm). I also never get weights in pounds and ounces. The conversion of pounds and ounce between different scale brands and conversion charts can be very high up to 4-6 ounce difference. 

For babies in the NICU making sure all cords are unplugged and placed inside the scale - no cords hanging over the scale because that can make a big difference. 

Jessica Callahan RN, IBCLC
USA, NC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2