Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:23:47 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Thank you for the info, Holly. I, also, don' think anything untoward was discussed in the forum, and I think all of what was said was appropriate and could be helpful. (It kind of reminds me of years ago, when some LLL leaders I worked with were so "offended" by the fact that some mothers used pumps and alternative feeding devices that they refused to learn about HOW to use such products, to the dismay of not only other leaders, but also the mothers they helped.) 

One of the things mentioned is UNOPPOSED ESTROGEN. (meaning estrogen alone with NO progesterone to balance it.) This is the reason, that at least for perimenopause, a small dose of progesterone is also added to the regimen. Even a small amount of progesterone (and I am talking for peri, NOT post partum women) can lessen the risks of intravaginal estrogen to barely detectable. 

After using this creme, I have come to think it is perhaps NOT the best for the post partum woman, as I am far from the only woman to feel effects other than local from it's use. My fear is not clots, cancer, endometrial lining issues etc, but a decrease in milk, due to absorbed estrogen. 

I am assuming if a quarter of a dose can relieve my (and other women's)  hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, increase breast size and a few other systemic effects, the estrogen's effect on lactation, which can be disastrous, could also be felt by some women. 

Thank you for your honesty and openness as well. :)  Most babies are caused by S-E-X. ;)  I don't quite understand an adult, open, very discreet discussion, pertaining to either breastfeeding or perimenopause being out of the bounds of this list. 

I know I have been asked much more explicit questions by my clients, regarding their sex lives and breastfeeding, than any of the discreet things said on this board. I've never been caught off guard, as I realize that, like babies and breastfeeding, sex is a normal and necessary part of Life. (I'm also not afraid or embarrassed addressing sexual issues in any way.) I would hate for any client to feel that she "went too far" when asking a pertinent question about her sex life and seeing shock or "offense" in her Lactation Consultant's face. New mothers are SO open and often emotionally raw, I think they should be able to trust us, like all health PROFESSIONALS, for us to NOT be offended or "shocked" by nearly anything they ask us. 

This is the last I am going to say on this issue, I think. 

Mary Jozwiak 
Private Practice

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2