Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2006 18:00:16 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Hi Susan and all,
I AM still lurking here even though I don't chime in lately too often! but reading this was so very pertinent. Today being Friday, the busiest day for me in the kitchen, a new mom called me SOS. Baby a month old and had no issues, and all of a sudden horrific colic and refusal to bf/. This has been going on for about 3 days, mom expressing, trying to bf, screaming, and all this I am getting "real time" with terrifying screams in the background. Talk about hands off? This was even eyes off. My brain trying to figure things out, maybe other issues, etc........Then I told her calmly what an amazing job she is doing trying to stick with it, and resist giving up. I suggested to her that she lean back, with support - and gently lay the baby on her chest. After an additional two minutes of screaming, (which MOm now didn't know if it was from hunger or the colic) the baby latched on. and then there was q-u-i-e-t. Needless to say, the mom was amazed. I wished her well, and hoped that this would continue and that she would be able to carry on until the issues are resolved. and of course to be in touch.

I personally, try so hard not to touch. I keep slapping my own hands when they shoot out to assist. When we see the mom struggling it is just so tempting, but in the long run, the mom has to gain the confidence and the wherewithall to do this herself. Sometimes I see LC's taking over, and I don't think this serves the mom. Of course, there are cases when intervention is definitely necessary, but I feel we should stand back and allow the mom to learn first hand.

Funny how the exact same position that worked with you Susan' also was the solution in my case.!!

Have a good weekend!

Ellen Shein, IBCLC LLL RLC
Tel Aviv, ISrael

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2