Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 07:09:41 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
        Her milk was there.....then she started on the ibuprofen.

I just returned from ILCA and talked with several of the speakers there of my suspicians.  I have worked as an LC and recently recertified 3rd time.  I worked when the OB's here erroniously believed one could not take ibuprofen and breastfeed so they wouldn't order it.  That was put to rest so now the mothers are on mega doses
        of it 800 MG every 8 hours.  They are started on it after day one.
        Day one, narcotics like percocet after their demerol Intra muscle.

Dr. B, an obgyn who is now on her 2nd baby kissed him after her cs and saw him whisked away to NICU.  She began pumping right away.  Due to her c/s pain wanted to start on Ibuprofen day 2.  Pleanty colostrum when she initiated pumping day 1; no colostrum day 2.  I had seen this with countless patients.  Her pedal edema was extreme and uncomfortable, (not present on day one)   My medsearch shows chronic use of ibuprofen in the elderly for painful arthritis causes this and in some populations that have heart disease.   It happens with me personally as I have used it with migraines before the new generation of migraine meds came out like imitrex.  Now I am not a candidate for imitrex due to blood pressure problems.  Ibuprofen shoots my bloodpressure up too.  D
r. B explained to me that prostiglandins are responsible to prevent contracting of the uterus.  Is it also responsible to prevent the contracting of the alveloi of the milk making structure as well?  Will that damage the milk volume permanently?  What about supporting exclusive breastfeeding for the woman who is not pumping?  Is it ethical to tell a woman that the med that relieves her pain so well might cause her body to shut down her milk supply?  Would an ethics committee let us study this?  I appologiized to Dr. B for talking to her the Dr. not her the Mommy. Her first reaction was that she would cut back on her dosage.  My first question is, what is the lowest dose that is effective that will not effect alvelor contraction?  Does it even affect it?  Has
 anyone else noticed this too?  I Stood in Line at Dr Hale's talk but when there was very little time left and everyone was interested in fenugreek and domperidon, I hated to switch subject so I went and took
        my seat without asking this of him.     Alice

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2