Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2013 07:23:51 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
Susan , and Jacqui,

The purpose behind my original post was to remind people that mothers often do things differently from what we advise, even if we use our counselling skills and discuss ways to make things fit her life. It's even more so when "experts" give advice authoritatively, but mothers still pick and choose what they follow, as they measure it against thir own perceptions. More research on this, specifically on different categories of those providing breastfeeding advice and support, in different settings, would be useful in providing guidance for future practice.

What stood out for me in my study, for my PhD, of influences on mothers' infant feeding decisions in 20th-century Australia was that for decades the health sector *told* mothers what the nurss and doctors thought she should do, imparting information and instructions without ascertaining the context, whereas companies advertising products to replace or supplement breastfeeding obviously listened to mothers as they were addressing (playing on) their fears. They made a big point about fears of low supply, and built this up to sell products. For mothers not concerned about supply, some advertising could create doubt. What I thought at the end of the study was that the health sector of that period could have learnt from the commercial sector - i.e. to listen and empathise.

Good points, Susan, about the "partnership" between the mother and the helper.

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Apr 2013 07:51:22 -0700
Subject: Re: compliance/adherence

Jacquie, I love this term & will try it out immediately. You're right -- it serves as a reminder that we all have a role in communication, in partnership, and in moving the breastfeeding relationship forward.

Engagement. 

Thank you for the suggestion.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2