Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 01:30:22 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I am becoming increasingly disappointed with the, what I would call, overuse of breastpumps.  As you all know, every new mom has received and/or requested a pump of some kind for a shower gift, or so it seems.  When I see her in the hospital, often the question "When can I start pumping"? is the first thing she says.  These are moms with healthy, full-term babies who have the potential to breastfeed once they wake up.  

I also have a private practice and a rental station, so I hear it on that end, too.  A colleague calls it "new age breastfeeding," some kind of a need to not feel "tied down," "I want my husband to bond with the baby," they want to measure input because they can't imagine the baby is "getting enough," etc.  Obviously, pumps are a vital necessity to some moms and babies who are having difficulties or separation, but I am so old that I remember enjoying not needing any paraphernalia to feed the baby when going out.  It seemed so simple--just me and the baby, 24/7.  I liked it.  I think that the popularity of pumping is part of more moms working, and that is wonderful--they don't stop breastfeeding so soon.  However, even the work-from/at-home moms want pumps.  

The sharing of Pump in Styles is absolutely astonishing, and I will not supply parts as a general rule, although, in part, that may mean that the mom doesn't breastfeed because she can't get her new pump parts for her non-FDA approved borrowed pump.  I find it to be a dilemma, and I always inform them of the policy, but contamination versus convenience doesn't seem to be an issue.  

Am I too idealistic, am I old-fashioned, or am I missing something here?  I would love to meet a mom who wants and does directly breastfeed her baby, with an occasional bottle for a night out, because I am feeling compromised.  When I started renting pumps, I thought they would be for my lactation clients and working moms, not everybody who breastfeeds.  

Just looking for a little perspective here from those I respect and admire.  

Thanks,
Patricia Ellis, RN, MA, IBCLC

"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."
[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2