Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2011 11:55:28 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Hi all

I have a question for all you great minds........actually I have two but will start with the one indicated in the subject line.  I am working with a mom who has a lovely thriving baby who has the most common form of dwarfism.  The mom, in spite of being fairly happy with her daughter's medical care - tho she has needed very little, just the normal well baby stuff so far really, feels she knows little about nutritional requirements for her daughter.  As the baby is only months old and fully breastfed and thriving my understanding is that she should continue to feed her baby based on the baby's cues and enjoy a normal BF relationship.  None of the docs she has spoken to have given her any further info.  The baby is not ready to start solids just yet but will be soon.  Everything I have read (and that is admittedly not a lot) says that these kids may be prone to ear infections and overweight on the more benign end of the scale of complications.........I am aware that there are special growth charts - is it possible that this mom has not found this info? I have not seen a copy of the Health Supervision for Children with Achondroplasia, by the Committee on Genetics of the American Academy of Pediatrics but I know it is out there.  Do any of you have experience working with families dealing with a child who has this type of dwarfism?? I will talk to this mom again soon and would like to have some more than the above for her.

My second questions has to do with excess sweating d/t ingestion of fenugreek - I know it is common enough in moms but what about in babies?  I have never seen this but I am working with a mom who swears that her baby has very serious sweating going on - like soaking the sheets and his clothing and that is appeared when she began to take fenugreek and stopped when she stopped.  My feeling is that fenugreek isn't for her (ar at least not for her baby!) which is to bad as it did seem to help her milk supply.  Any input on this interms of health implications for the baby - I ask mostly out of curiousity as she won't be taking the fenugreek anymore.  She hasn't had any recent thyroid testing....what does this say, if anything, about the baby?

Thanks so much for your collective wisdom

beth

Beth McMillan BA IBCLC (and LLLleader)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2