Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2014 15:02:27 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
OF course, the body is responding to the baby!  Pumps are designed to take out 50-70% of available milk.  Mothers with higher milk supplies, get more milk with a pump, especially if their nursing babies are efficient feeders.  However, as babies take less from the breast, mom's overall supply and storage capacity can decrease.  As the breast becomes less full, the let-down is less forceful.  The pump is designed to elicit a let-down reflex and remove milk that is presented to the nipple as efficiently as possible.  It does NOT suck milk from the breast.  This is why very high sucking pressures may not help.  So the milk that is pushed from the breast is lower in quantity due to the baby's consistent non-removal of milk.   Reassure the mom - this is perfectly normal! 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mary Wagner-Davis
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 1:00 PM
Subject: Pumping for 11 month old

PTP
Phone call from a mother who is breastfeeding an 11 month, pumps while at work (full-time), uses SMB at work, Purely Yours at home before leaving for work and once in the evening after baby goes to bed.  Struggles to express 12 ounces.  Takes Reglan and did notice improvement with Reglan.  Not pregnant

Anyone else notice this, declining amounts expressed as baby gets older?  Nothing else changed in terms of health of mother/baby, medications, etc.  I noticed it personally and with many other moms I've worked with.  I rember being very relieved that I was able to reduce my hours since I was getting so little when pumping.  It's as if the body continues to respond to the baby, but not the pump.  Thoughts?

Mary L. Wagner-Davis, MS, MFT, IBCLC, LLLL Roseville, CA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2