Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:47:43 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (60 lines)
I would tell the mom to keep a food record of eveything her daughter eats and drinks. Also, focus on offering her high calorie, high protein foods (often nutritious foods means veggies to parents). She should bring her records with her to her visit at the hospital, so they can actually calculate how much she is eating.
I would also give the mom some solid references (AAP if at all possible) about the nutrient composition of breast milk, so they can see that its actually very nutritious. 
If you need a list of high calorie, high protein foods, I can provide it. Just contact me privately.
One key question is how much juice/sugary drinks is the child drinking. If its over 8oz per day tell her to cut down to that max or eliminate it/them.

Good Luck

Daniela 

[log in to unmask]

From: Lactation Information and Discussion on behalf of T S
Sent: Fri 7/21/2006 11:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [LACTNET] Stunted growth?

Got a call from a mom who wanted information to support her continued breastfeeding of her 14mo daughter.  Although her daughter is only 15 pounds, she is healthy and reaching appropriate developmental milestones.  The daughter does eat nutritious foods, but also snack breastfeeds (as the nutritionist told the mom).  Daughter has received some medical tests and there is nothing apparently wrong, but the mom has to return to a Children's Hospital in another state for a follow-up visit.  I guess the only thing they could pick on in the previous visit was the breastfeeding and the mom is afraid they will tell her when she returns (if there is not sufficient weight gain)  to wean and since she is in the "system", mom is afraid of what will happen if she does not wean.    I'm not sure what the daughter's length is, but they are throwing the "stunted" word at the mom and the mom has no idea of how that is diagnosed.

Need help!
  Terriann Shell
  Big Lake, AK

---------------------------------
See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com.  Check it out.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The information in this e-mail may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, or copying of this e-mail and its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your computer system.  Thank you.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2