Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:29:12 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Thanks to all of you responded to this distressing story.  Your support has been rejuvenating.

Based on some comments I feel I need to clarify a couple of things.  First, I don't believe that it was ever suggested to the mother that she suffocated the baby but that was the general speculation at the nurses station.  Additionally, the neo pulled me aside and asked me if I thought that it was a possibility.  The mother did not have a cesarean delivery but a vaginal one, probably had an epidural but I am not clear on any other labor meds, usually not near delivery if she had an epidural.  Also, FOB was in the room at the time the baby died.  As to the parents refusing and autopsy, I believe the law treats an early neonatal death in hospital differently than it does a baby who died suddenly at home.  There will certainly be an M&M on the case, which I plan on attending so that I can run interference on any detrimental speculation concerning this case's relation to breastfeeding.

On the plus side, it has been decided that the first feed, breast or bottle, will be observed by an RN or LC (of which I am the only one), rather than instituting some arbitrary waiting period before first feed. 

My personal feeling is that this infant died of apnea (an early SIDS?), barring any undiagnosed congenital condition.  Infants go through an immense physical transition to extrauterine life and small variations may make some infants more susceptible to early apnic episodes.  It is certainly not uncommon with a premature infant and may just be less common with a term infant.  We have had a similar near miss in the past where a nurse was in the room at the time it happened and was able to resuscitate the baby quickly.

I will post again on this story after the M&Ms

Thanks again,
Stacy Miller-Leonard RN,MS,IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2