Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2008 09:37:17 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Hello all-

I have a couple of questions: (please reply off list to [log in to unmask] as I am no mail).

1) I have a mom who pumped 4 oz of bright red bloody milk (so much blood that it actually clotted after sitting for 10 minutes) after she noticed her baby spit up some blood. After not feeding for 8 hrs, it looked pretty clear but later baby spit up some blood again. I'm thinking a possiblity is intraductal papilloma, but I have very little information about them. I have told her to have her PCP refer her to a breast surgeon for further evaluation (to rule out more worrisome causes of bloody nipple discharge), but was wondering if anyone had any info on how urgent the referral should be and what exactly will the surgeon do-as in, how invasive might he be? Of course I have told her it is okay to breastfeed in the mean time if the baby is tolerating the milk (which for the most part he is). Would appreciate anyone with any experiences w/papillomas to email me.

2) Does anyone have any experience w/moms breastfeeding after breast cancer? I know the standard info, but what I am looking for is what kind of imaging have their oncologist done for surveillance while breastfeeding (for example, normal protocol is mammogram on treated breast every 6 months and yearly on untreated breast). They are telling mom to pump before the mammogram to "empty" the breast-of course I told her to bring baby with her and breastfeed right before the mammogram instead of pumping. (we actually even discussed letting the treated side involute since it isn't producing well and only breastfeed on the untreated breast). I also am thinking that an MRI in addition to the mammogram would be prudent. Anyone with any info, reply off-list to [log in to unmask] 

Thanks a lot- 
Stacy D. Kucharczk MSN, RN, CPNP, IBCLC -who is really missing         lacnet while being nomail :(
BestFeeding Lactation Services, LLC
Chesapeake, Virginia
USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2