Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
J. Tow wrote

From Clark Howard's radio show, Judy wrote:
"Don't throw your money away on this brand name. Your baby
 will be perfectly fine if given a lesser priced product. To prove
 the point, take a moment and compare ingredient labels of
 Enfamil and a cheaper brand."

Correction: your baby will be as perfectly not fine as all of the other perfectly not fine AF babies.

This is, I feel, an unhelpfully rabid response. I am a proponent of breast feeding and lecture regularly on the benefits. However, I do feel that we need to accept that in the vast majority of cases formula feeds do NOT damage children. Even where children suffer from diseases which [statistically] might be avoided by breast feeding it is crucial not to be judgemental as this induces stress with no benefit to child or family. We also need to accept that breast fed children also suffer from diabetes or may be hospitalised with pulmonary infections etc.
I sincerely believe that breast feeding is superior in every way - but families have a right to choose. What we must do is provide the information for the choice to be an informed decision.
Once the decision to feed formula is made then it is sensible for cheaper brands to be assessed for suitability - as I am sure many of us do when buying cornflakes etc.
I am aware of the need for breast feeding to be increased, but sadly [in the UK at least] there is a general perception of the pressure groups as being slightly unhinged. Displays of protest such as feed-ins are a symbol of this to many. I reckon that we are more likely to win the argument by rational discussion, acceptance of different opinions, and practical advice.
Advice that would help in many cases might include  mentioning that it is not necessary to expose breasts in public in order to feed - a subtle use of a shawl allows both privacy and a contented infant. Before I am inundated with e-mails telling me that this should not be necessary please let me assure you that I agree! However, many women are shy and it might help boost rates especially amongst younger mums who may have less peer support......
Examples of irrational paranoia - in my view - include counsellors whom I have seen deriding formula as poison, and claiming formula is tantamount to child abuse. Please let us support parents whilst guiding them to the land of breastmilk and honey....

Tony Knox
Senior Lecturer Paediatric Intensive Care
South Bank University London UK

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2